Solicitor – 3rd April 1990
University of London – LLB (Hons)
Former Council Member – Birmingham Law Society
Stephen graduated from the University of London as a Bachelor of Laws with Honours. Following successful completion of the Law Society Finals course, he served his Articles at Wragge & Co, one of Birmingham’s largest and most prestigious Corporate Law Firms, where he was articled to the firm’s Senior Partner, Sir Patrick Lawrence.
He completed his Articles in the firm’s Corporate Department handling a wide range of Company, Commercial and Corporate transactions before eventually setting up in private practice.
Over his many years in practice, Stephen has gained considerable experience in a wide variety of Disciplines. These have mostly been in the Company and Commercial field but have also included such diverse things as successfully defending a soldier in a Court Martial; obtaining a substantial settlement for a commercial agent in a dispute with his Principal, a blue chip company; and involvement in several multi-million pound acquisitions.
His meticulous attention to detail and thorough grasp of his field mean clients can be assured that nothing is overlooked and their interests will be thoroughly protected.
Stephen is widely regarded by clients as one of the leading Company and Commercial Solicitors in the West Midlands.
Company and Commercial
Extensive experience in the purchase and sale of companies or businesses and specifically:-
- Hotels, Restaurants, Guesthouses and Public Houses
- Care Homes
- Engineering Companies
- Shops and General Trading Interests
- Post Offices
- Completion of Companies Statutory Books updating and completion of companies statutory books
- Filing of forms and documents at Companies House
- Advising Clients generally on Company Law Requirements
Banking and Corporate Finance
Stephen has acted for most of the main High Street Banks and Building Societies in respect of loans and all types of security documentation including Legal Charges, Mortgage Debentures, Chattel Mortgages, Cross Guarantees etc.
European and Competition Law
- Advising generally on European Law
- Advising generally on Competition Law and in particular the Chapter I and Chapter II Prohibitions
- Undertaking of Competition Law Audits
- Acting for Clients for Claims in damages against parties in breach of Competition Law
- Preparation of Terms and Conditions of International Trade
- Preparation of International Trade Agreements
- Finance of International Trade including Irrevocable Letters of Credit
Property and Construction
Acting for many builders and property developers in the purchase of development land; preparation of construction contracts, Project Management Agreements and Joint Venture Agreements; preparation of Forward Sale Agreements, sale of units agreements from the development of both residential and commercial.
Drafting of all types of leases, both short-form and long-form.
Assistance with planning applications; planning condition precedents and planning appeals.
Acting in the resolution of property disputes and boundary disputes, both through resolution through the courts and by mediation and arbitration.
Agency and Distribution
- Acting for both Principals and Agents and advising generally
- Drafting of numerous Agency Agreements
- Acting for Principals and Agents in respect of claims under the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993
- Acting for Petitioners in respect of Section 459 Petitions for Unfair Prejudice of Minority Shareholders
- Acting for Shareholders in Successful Defence of an Injunction to stop £3m share sale from Proceeding
- Acting for Directors in disqualification proceedings under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986
- Acting for a Client company in a claim against a blue chip company under the Commercial Agents (Council Directive) Regulations 1993
- Acting for a client in a claim for £300,000 under an oral agreement for a share in the proceeds of a share sale following a Purchase of Own Shares at the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand, London
- Acting for clients in respect of Professional Negligence claims against other Solicitors
- Acting for Client Companies in connection with the Setting Aside of Statutory Demands
Successfully suing a person on behalf of a client to recover the right to use a number plate on a car!
Partnerships and Disputes
Stephen has dealt with the creation of many partnerships including the preparation of partnership agreements and has also dealt with many partnership disputes including the preparation of deeds of dissolution and where necessary, applications to court for dissolution.
He also has extensive experience in handling Partnership Dissolutions, both by negotiation and through applications to court.
Stephen also has extensive experience of Limited Liability Partnerships in their creation and advising in relation thereto and was one of the first to draft a Sale and Purchase Agreement for the sale of a Limited Liability Partnership franchise (which is still used by the Franchisor) shortly after they were created in 2001.
Stephen has had extensive experience in acting for both Franchisors and Franchisees including involvement in the creation of new franchises and advising parties generally.
- Preparation and Service of Statutory Demands
- Preparation of Petitions for Bankruptcy of individuals and for the winding up of companies
- Acting for Insolvency Practitioners in the Sale of Companies and Businesses and other Assets
- Advising Insolvency Practitioners generally on Insolvency Law
- Pre-pack Administration and Liquidations
- Bringing claims in respect of Preferences, Transactions due to Defraud Creditors and Transactions that are Undervalue
Wills, Probate and Trusts
- Acting as Executor on behalf of numerous clients
- Preparation and drafting of Wills including the provision of IHT advice and trusts
- Acting as executor in a matter which involved the death of a client caused by a beneficiary and in connection with an application under Section 2 of the Forfeiture Act 1982
Experience in this area includes negligence claims against Solicitors, Accountants, Barristers, and other professional people as well as Medical Negligence cases.
- Advising on Intellectual Property Rights generally
- Trademark Applications
- Patent Applications
- Design Rights
- Actions for Breach of Intellectual Property Rights and for Passing Off
- Dispute Resolution and Mediation
Stephen has also been involved in successfully defending a soldier in a Court Martial.
All types of sport (participating, not watching!) but more recently including skiing, social golf, windsurfing, scuba diving and country walks.